AIEA Thematic Forums
2017-2018 Thematic Forum applications are due May 15, 2017.
AIEA invites institutional members to submit a proposal to host an AIEA Thematic Forum at or near their institution’s campus.
Purpose of AIEA Thematic Forum
To increase the opportunities for AIEA members and other professionals from related fields to gather in organized venues to discuss and learn more about salient leadership issues in International Higher Education. The topic and size (number of participants) of the forum are open. The target audience of Thematic Forums are SIOs and university leaders. Thematic Forum funding is available for AIEA member institutions (higher education institutions) regardless of location, and members from outside the U.S. are also encouraged to apply.
Length of AIEA Thematic Forum
1-2 days between the months of September and May. The Thematic Forum should not take place during AIEA Conference events.
AIEA Monetary Support
AIEA will provide up to $5000 per forum. Funds can be used for any of the following:
- One or more meals for participants
- Meeting space (AIEA encourages cost sharing)
- Stipend/travel for outside speaker(s) if appropriate
- Subsidize hotel costs to participants
$4000 of the award will be distributed prior to the Forum, and $1000 of the award will be distributed after the final report has been received by AIEA.
Funds may not be used to pay for salaries at host institution(s).
The host institution(s) are encouraged to charge a reasonable registration fee to cover additional costs of the meeting. Note: the Forum should not be a money-making opportunity for the institution. The expectation is that AIEA funding would help make it possible to hold such an event and cover costs only.
Number of Awards
AIEA will grant up to 4 awards per academic year.
- Forum hosted by an AIEA member at an HEI member institution
- Saliency and focus of the issue/topic for Senior International Officers/Senior leaders advancing internationalization at their institutions
- Support from host institution(s)
- Reasonableness of budget and cost sharing by host institution
- Transparency of participant selection process
- Support of AIEA goals, benefit to AIEA members, and opportunity for AIEA to gain exposure
Preference will be given to host institutions in different sections/regions of the United States. AIEA also welcomes thematic forum applications from institutions outside the United States.
Host Institution Responsibility
- Selection of Topic
- Logistics: Arrange/Provide meeting space, meals, speaker(s)
- Marketing to Senior International Officer (or their international equivalent) participants
- Provide information about hotels if the Forum requires participants to stay overnight.
- Have participants complete an evaluation form provided by AIEA (and send these results to AIEA within 30 days of the end of the Forum)
- Submit final report (see below) to AIEA within 30 days of the end of the Forum
- Disseminate knowledge after the Forum as described in proposal
- Financial Award of up to $5000
- AIEA Endorsement
- AIEA Publicity
- Follow-up thank you letters to president of host institution
Application Process (DEADLINE - MAY 15)
To apply for a Thematic Forum, please send the following information to email@example.com:
- 3-5 page proposal explaining the topic/issue of the proposed workshop and its importance to international educators. The proposal should include an outline and format of the workshop, names and titles of speaker(s), length of workshop, proposed date, and knowledge capture and dissemination plans. It should also describe how the forum addresses strategic-level issues pertaining to SIOs or other senior leaders advancing internationalization at their institutions, as well as how organizers will recruit senior leaders in international education to attend.
- Selection process of participants and maximum number.
- CVs for the presenters/speakers
- Detailed budget (specifying how AIEA funds will be used specifically plus other sources of funding). This budget should be specific and not include estimated lump sums. Please include dollar amounts for estimated in-kind and cash matches.
A final report is due 30 days after the conclusion of the Forum. This report should include:
- Number of participants
- Final Budget Report
- Participant Evaluations
- Highlights and Overview of Results of the Workshop
- Suggestions for future AIEA Forums
- Knowledge dissemination
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org